Saturday, July 5, 2014

Mr. McVeeBee

I wish I had been Andy Taylor, Sheriff Taylor, that is, when my children were growing up.  Oh, heck, I wish I were him now.  I'm sure he would have been as good a grandparent as he was a parent--a single parent at that.

Here's why--in case you have forgotten the gentle sheriff or if you haven't watched "The Andy Griffith Show" recently. (Why you should watch this delightful show is for a whole other post!)

But this morning I joined the husband while he was watching some old "Andy Griffith"--the early black and white series with little Opie, Aunt Bee, Barney, and, of course, the oh-so-wise and patient Sheriff Taylor.  In this episode, Opie got himself in trouble (at least with Barney) about his imagination.

At first it was the black horse that he galloped around on and then, when called into breakfast, he tied the horse to the hitching post outside the back door.  Literal Barney totally bought into the black horse story and of course was puffed up and indignant when he realized it was a "play-like" black horse.

Then Opie, while roaming around in the woods, discovered a telephone lineman working high in the trees.  Mr. McVeeBee and Opie became friends at once.  (Remember this was in the 50's--in the time that kids could play outside, walk around in the town or woods, visit with strangers, and go home in time for supper.)

The conflict is this episode was whether to believe Opie or not when he claimed to have met Mr. McVeeBee.   

In an online summary of the show, it says, "Opie talks excitedly about his new friend, Mr. McVeeBee, and describes him in fantastical terms (he walks in the treetops, wears a silver hat, has twelve extra hands, blows smoke from his ears, etc.). At first Andy and Barney accept this as childhood make-believe, but when Opie starts coming home with a series of gifts (including an Indian hatchet) supposedly from Mr. McVeeBee, Andy is forced to call the fantasizing to a halt. Meanwhile, we are made privy to the fact that Mr. McVeeBee is indeed real and that his whimsical quirks all have a rational explanation. Andy tells Opie he will not punish him if he denies Mr. McVeeBee's existence."

Although Opie tries to deny Mr. McVeeBee's existence to stay out of a punishment, he can't.  Nor can Andy punish him for his determined belief.  Does one have to see Mr. McVeeBee to believe he exists?  What a choice:  reason or faith?

Even though that series is old, the parable that it illustrates is still relevant, impressive and thought-provoking today.  What an impact that had on me.

But I also was touched once again by the gentleness, kindness, and patience that Andy had with little Opie.  Of course, that was fiction; that constantly calm, rational, and soft-spoken parent really doesn't exist, right?

Let me say, they do exist.  The way Andy handled this situation with Opie in today's show reminds me of how my daughter and her husband deal with my grandson.  Never raising their voices; always removing him from a situation when he is having a problem or a disagreeable moment, and then talking to him gently, not losing their cool, using logic--not threats.  Yes, it exists.  It exists in my sweet daughter and son-in-law's home.  Oh my, they are so good with that little "Opie" of theirs.  I am so proud of them.

Like I said, I wish I had been that "Andy Taylor-wise" while my own children were growing up.  Maybe if I just spend the day watching more of him, it will rub off on me.  I'm suggesting that simply to learn, you know, not to put off my chores.  Hmmm, now how would Andy handle that?

Okay,  off to work I go..........maybe!  But if you don't have chores, tune in to Andy!

Leta








1 comment:

  1. My grandson is a little older and bolder. Removing him from the situation is not always possible and speaking logically is challenged by his older perspective. Voices are raised more frequently and tempers have flared on both sides. HOWEVER, his parents employed basically the same techniques when it worked and because of that, when situations call for more than logic or relocation, he is a happy, caring boy who springs back quickly. I do, wish I had their patience, and as a single parent very much wish I had had Andy's unending patience. I think it was a lot harder to keep his irritation in check with Barney.

    ReplyDelete