Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My Sisters!

I've written a few posts about some of my favorite people--some of my friends, my brother, my mother-in-law, various other family members.  But I haven't written about two very important people in my life--my sisters.

They each deserve pages and pages written about them; they are so wonderful.  But I couldn't decide which one to start with.  Therefore, I am writing today about both of them.  They are truly here for me all the time.

I know not everyone is as lucky as I am to have such wonderful friends who are also supportive sisters.  If I could give anyone the best gift they could ever imagine, it would be to have sisters as superb as I have.  I actually feel bad for those people who don't have a good relationship with their sisters or if they don't have a sister at all.   I am lucky.  I am blessed.

I think God knew I needed these two special people--these two sisters.  He knew I needed them from the get-go.  You see, I was the last of four kids.  So I was lucky enough to have them and my brother from day one.  And I am still lucky to have them.

They all have influenced me so much.   Most of my childhood memories include my siblings especially Lana.  She is the sister who is the other part of "the little girls' (the way we were collectively referred to growing up).  She is only 19 months older than I am.  So really, I pushed her out of the baby bed and baby position in the family.  I was the baby then (and forever more--Baby Sue!)

Oh, but what a wonderful companion I had growing up.  Sure, we fought a bunch.  But we also played a lot--a built in playmate until she had to go to school, for heavens sake.  That left me playing alone--so I took up playing with the wooden spools Mom would give me when they were emptied from her sewing machine.  They were fun, but I missed my sister/playmate.

As typical girls, we played a lot with dolls.  We had Toni dolls.  We didn't have Barbies though.  But the Toni dolls were wonderful--complete with dresses and some accessories.  Not quite like the American Girl Dolls which my girls had.  Of course, my girls only had one doll each, the book that went with the doll, and the outfit that came with her.  Now I think you can spend a small fortune on those dolls and their accessories.

But we loved playing with our Toni dolls as well as our baby dolls.  Oh, the hours we played together.  We played so well with each other--until we didn't.  Then one of us would holler, "Mama, she did ....."  I'm not sure how Mama settled all those fights but she did and we would forgive, forget, and play again.  When things were good, we would willingly share our dolls and toys; when things went foul, we became selfish and possessive--like I said, we were typical kids.

But sharing was basically mandatory for us--sharing clothes, sharing a bedroom, sharing the double bed, sharing the back seat on trips.  Once again, when it was good, it was very good.  And then not so much.  Imaginary lines were drawn separating our spaces in the bed and the car.   And not so imaginary complaints were made to the chief referee, Mom, and if she weren't readily available, we took our grievances to Lynda.

Nevertheless, we grew out of the daily fights and into a close grown-up relationship.  I admire her so much.  She not only is smart, kind, and giving, she is also a picture of stylish perfection. She is always impeccably dressed from head to toe.  And here is the astonishing part--her toes even have pedicures in the WINTER!

Yes, she is absolutely the epitome of style.  Classic and beautiful.  But that's not all--it goes inward as well. 

Plus, she still shares--she shares her advice, her make-up tips, her clothing tips.  But most importantly she shares her support of me.  She is there when I'm upset, discouraged, overwhelmed, lonesome, or happy.  She is always there for me.  Man, she is wonderful.

And so is my other sister, Lynda.  I am doubly blessed and I know it. 

Lynda wasn't my playmate, but she was my idol.  As I was growing up, she was far enough ahead of me that I knew her in a different way from Lana.  When I was entering first grade, she was entering 9th grade.  Interest levels at that time were a little different to say the least.

But I was so in awe of her (and I still am).  She was and is so kind, loving, and supportive even during those teen-age years (hers and mine!)  Actually, she helped raise me.  She apologetically says she was bossy.  I disagree--she was helpful and loving.

She helped me with growing up which was more than just "helping raise" me;  I could ask her questions and she would kindly answer.  She continues to help me grow as I continue to ask her questions.  She has always been so wise in her counsel to me and surely I have bent her ear for hours yet she continues to be attentive and caring.  She weighs her words carefully and so beautifully encourages me as I need it.  She sees the best in me and makes me want to believe her belief in me.  Does that make sense? 

She makes life sensible--the aches, the pains, the happy times.  It's almost like I can throw to her a bunch of numbers and she can make the formula.  She can sort it out.  I love the way she can interpret things--whether it is my issues, or political, religious, or social issues.  She can think it out and put it into logical sentences.  She is brilliant. 

I'm not sure how she came to the decision to go to Ouachita for college, but because of her brilliance and high respect in our family, she unknowingly set the standard for all of us.  And I must say that her standard was high, thankfully.  She majored in French and English; she was a beauty queen; she taught school; she married a most wonderful man; she continued her studies and earned a doctorate degree in French no less and she became a college professor.  What an example.  She did all this while being a wonderful mother and pastor's wife.

I followed her lead and went to Ouachita; I majored in English and took a lot of French; I taught school; and I married a wonderful man.  Well, that's as far as I got.  I wasn't a beauty queen and I didn't earn an advanced degree.  But I have always been so proud of her accomplishments which she got through hard work and persistence.   She was never one who shirked hard work. 

What we might have lacked in actual closeness while I was a small child, we have more than made up for it now.  We have grown so close as adults.  We are best of friends and what a gift it has been for me.    Her husband has referred to us as "bookends."  My husband has often referred to us and some of our similar behaviors as "genetics."  We talk and talk.  We laugh and laugh.  It doesn't take too long in any conversation--either in person or on the phone--to hear the hearty sound of infectious laughter coming from our direction.  It makes me smile just thinking about it.

She makes me smile thinking about her any time.  Tomorrow is her birthday--that really makes me smile and it really makes me thank God for her tomorrow and everyday!  She is a jewel.


See what I mean?  I am indeed lucky to have these two as my best friends and sisters. 

Lucky and blessed.










1 comment: