Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Another New Year

This post was started on New Year's Eve with plans on posting immediately; now it covers a period of 3 days.  Well,  I hope I get it posted within that time.

2014--it's here folks.  We will wake in the morning and a whole new year will be upon us.  Right now I'm waiting for my New Year's Eve Festivities to begin.  It's 8:00 and the party hasn't started yet.

I remember those days that the plans for New Year's Eve were a bigger than big deal.  My thoughts would be like, "We gotta do something.  What can we do?  Where are we going?  Who is going with us?  What shall I wear?"

Now mind you, even though I wished for it, I didn't always have fantastic plans for New Year's Eve.  I longed to have them as a single girl in my late teens and early twenty-something years, but more times than not I didn't have any plans at all.  Poor me, right?   Don't feel too bad for me...I made up for the lack of parties after I married.  Fun for sure.  But I think the fun tonight will surpass any of those parties.  We will see.  I know for sure it will be one that I have never experienced before.

And I'm game, so here's the game plan:

The must-have New Year's Eve hats, necklaces, neon lights and whistles have been dutifully purchased from the Dollar Tree.  (We go all out for our decorations!)  Dinner has been eaten and dishes cleaned up.  The house straightened for the party.  The grandson is due to arrive soon for our New Year's Eve affair.  We are prepared to be at his beck and call.  (Nothing unusual there!)

Some appropriate TV shows have been recorded, just in case.  New books available.  Of course, there are plenty of real toys in his room plus all his imaginative items and friends that can talk i.e. "Cat in the Hat can talk" which means that you must talk for Cat in the Hat.  Rabbit can talk, etc., etc.

I'm sure we will have no problem in the play portion of the evening.  However, we have been forewarned that our guest for the evening woke up from a 3-hour nap at 6:00 p.m.  So, we may be in for some really wild times tonight.  He is known to come alive at night. 

But now as I am waiting for the arrival of our guest of honor (and only guest), I begin to wonder about this new year that is upon us.  Hmmm.  I'll be 64 this year.  Wow!  How can that be?  What are the words to that Beatles' song, "When I'm 64?"  Wait--I'll google it.  (Never could remember words to songs...)

Ah yes,  "...Will you still need me, will you still feed me
               When I'm sixty-four?"

Man, becoming 64 sounded like it would take forever to be that old when those words were first heard on the radio in the late sixties.  I was just a teen and being OLD--like 64 years old--was quite beyond my teen-aged comprehension.  I mean old people were those that were turning 40 or, for heavens' sake, maybe 30.  Did I know anyone at that ripe old age of 64?  My parents weren't even that old!  Maybe those little ladies with the blue hair and ugly sensible black shoes on--maybe they were that old!

But the thought of someone loving me when I was 64--that was appealing even then.  Honestly though, being a late-bloomer, I guess I really thought having someone "love" me at 17 would have been preferable.  However, I must admit, love at 64 (minus 2 months) is good, very good.

And having a party with the grandson is good as well.  I'll wait to post this until after the sleep-over and the new year actually arrives.

January 1, 2014--


Happy New Year!  We made it through the night and was entertained by not only the great little entertainer but also, surprisingly enough, a lovely five man brass band.  Quite  unexpected.

That little fellow made it until midnight, but sadly, YaYa did not--after all, I am almost 64 and I didn't have any nap, much less a 3-hour nap.  When the clock struck 12 midnight, I am told, he was ready to come to bed.  I did wake up enough to read him a story before we both fell fast asleep.

Oh, how nice it was to wake up with such a wonderful little guy next to me even if he, by that time, left me with only one foot of the bed.  But he was snuggled right next to me.  I watched him a little bit and when he woke up, he looked at me.  I smiled at that sweet face and the first thing he said to me was, "Put your glasses on, YaYa."  I guess his waking up next to a 64 year old was not quite as wonderful for him--at least not until I got my glasses on. 

Then the play began again.  Horsey-back ride through the house, outside to the club house, inside to some jumping on the bed.  Then during a break in the bed-jumping he hollered, "Grambo, come here."  When no answer came, this cute little guy turned to me and added, "Grambo is not listening to me."

His parents came and joined us for the black-eyed peas and cornbread traditional lunch.  Then home they went with a tired little boy in tow.  A nap was sure to come--for him and for Grambo and YaYa.

Well, it's now 3:00 in the afternoon.  The first day of 2014 is here and practically gone.  Boy, the days do pass fast, don't they?  But, thankfully, the joys and memories last.   I know I'll enjoy the wonderful stories and fun memories from this New Year's Eve all year. What a fun way to begin a new year.

So here's a toast to 2014--May the year be filled with lots of wonderful days and nights with the ones we love--with or without a five man brass band.  Oh, yes, did I mention to you that the band was on "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood?"  I must admit that is something else that I have NEVER done before on New Year's Eve.

"It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,
A beautiful day for a neighbor,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

Don't worry--I had to google that ditty too!


 














1 comment:

  1. you have a few more weeks before you are 64 and I have to sing Beatles to you. Ringo Can Talk.

    ReplyDelete