Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Really Special Birthday

I can't tell you how many loads of day this lovely friend of mine has seen.  But I can tell you she is special.  And she is having a birthday soon--today in fact!  Here is your birthday cake, Milly!  No calories--no mess!


Although I have known her for a long time, I really got to know what a wonderful person she is when we went to London together.  (Actually, her daughter--my friend Becky--went along too.  That's how I came to know her in the first place.)  

We had more fun exploring London and the countryside.  I can't tell you how hard it was for us "younguns" to keep up with her.  We got to London and didn't let jet lag stop us.  On to the Changing of the Guard we charged after throwing our suitcases in the charming little hotel with the Peter Pan windows.  We walked a million miles and we also "minded the gap" on many a subway without missing a beat early in the morning or late at night.

We even managed to take in a play the first night.  It was so thrilling to be in London at the theatre with my friends seeing "Oliver" performed.  Ahhh.  I love the thought of it even now.  However, I don't think I have ever told anyone this even after all these years, but I must admit I dozed a little during the play.  The time difference was catching up with me.  But I am sure Milly didn't sleep a wink.  She never wanted to miss a thing. (She probably knew I slept a bit but she kept it to herself!)

Being generous and kind with others, being encouraging, always smiling--that's Milly. 

When we returned from our wonderful trip, I decided that we had to continue our English adventure, so I invited Milly and her daughter to a tea in the garden in my backyard.  Eagerly, I met them at the front door and was tickled to see them gracefully walking up the drive in their hats, gloves, and I'm sure "sensible shoes!"  How English!  They may have even have given me the "royal wave."  It was so fun.  Come to find out the hat and gloves were Milly's ideas!  Fantastic! 

That's another reason I love and respect her so much.   She is willing to have fun and if you know me at all I love a good time!  Yet she doesn't have fun at others' expense.  She seems to know and understand what makes a person tick and she finds ways to encourage them.

One way Milly has always been so good in encouraging others is through her letter writing.  She has always had such a wonderful way with words.  She has sent many a letter of thanks or encouragement and concern to those needing to know that someone was thinking about them.  She wrote me a note once that I have kept ever since (about 12 years or so and I even know where it is today [surprisingly] and I treasure it). 


Reading those nice thoughts written so long ago still touches my heart.  (But that is just the kind of thing she does and has always done.)  I love having such wonderful experiences with her and be able to learn from her.  As I face each day for the rest of my life, I hope to exhibit some of the wonderful qualities she has of courage, patience, love, and devotion to others.  She is a beautiful person.






So I wish her a most wonderful birthday and hope that with every wagon load of day--tomorrow and everyday--she will be blessed.  She deserves it.   Happy Birthday, Milly--my sweet friend.






1 comment: